Some people love cooking. Other people love baking. Either way, many agree that it’s fun to spend time in the kitchen. If you’re one of those people, then why not consider making a living at what you love. You don’t necessarily have to go to culinary school then spend years working in restaurants. Instead, you can start right now. You can make money by baking cakes at home. Start it off as a side hustle and maybe you can even grow it into a full-time work from home job.
Figure Out The Vision
Before you start any new business, you should always figure out what you want to do with it. Of course, your goals and plans might change with time. Nevertheless, knowing where you’re aiming is an important place to start. What’s the bigger goal you have beyond that you want to make money baking cakes at home? It might be:
- Earn enough money to cover your supplies and ingredients
- Make a side income doing something that you love
- Eventually transition into a full-time work-from-home cake baker
- Develop your skills as you make money baking cakes at home so that you can join a bigger bakery
You might also consider questions such as whether you want to take custom orders for cakes or simply make what you want to make and try to sell it.
Learn What You Don’t Know
You aren’t going to know everything that you need to know to make money baking cakes from home. But if you know what you don’t know then you’re off to a good start. Here are some of the things that you might need to learn:
How much baking have you done in the past? Do you know how to bake a basic cake? Do you know how to bake more advanced cakes? If you don’t have the skills that you need to achieve your goal then your next step might be:
- Take a cake baking class
- Learn how to bake some new cakes using online tutorials
- Practice and get honest friends and family to give you feedback
- Work from cookbooks to develop your skills
Required Materials and Supplies
Do you have the materials that you need to start this side business? Do you even know what you need?
You don’t need to get a fancy new oven. However, you might need a few more bowls and baking pans if you don’t already have enough in your kitchen.
Make sure that you have a good working knowledge of what supplies you’ll need to get started.
Laws For Selling Food
This is probably the most important thing for you to learn. Many people who want to make money baking cakes from home already have enough working knowledge in the kitchen. However, they don’t know the business and legal side of the work.
Do some research to find out if your area has cottage food laws. Are you allowed to sell food baked in your own kitchen? If so, what rules must you follow?
Make, Market and Sell
Once you’ve got the basics down (how to make cakes and what the laws are about selling them), you’re ready to start selling. How you’ll do that depends on your business plan. You might take custom orders. Alternatively, you might make ready-to-go cakes to sell locally or online. Regardless, your next steps will be:
- Identify your market.
- Figure out how to advertise to that market (word of mouth, targeted social media, etc.)
- Begin advertising.
- Do your best, especially with your earliest client.
- Ask for reviews. Take feedback on board.
Have fun! You can make money baking cakes from home. It won’t always be easy, but you’ll often enjoy the process.
- Cake Decorating Class: Worth It or Waste of Money?
- What Are the Benefits of Partial Unemployment?
- Side Hustle Mindset